Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Copper Spiral Ring

Another copper commission piece done! I'm on such a creative high, I was even making jewelry in my dreams tonight...:-)
Spirals are a recurring theme in my jewelry...I like them not only for their shape, but also for the archaic feel and symbolism...the theme of life, death and rebirth, the spiraling path is a motif you see in prehistoric and celtic art across Europe.

The gold necklace in the picture is a stunning example of this: it dates back to the 12th century BC and was found in a tomb at Lakithra, Kefalonia (Greece). I saw it in the Argostoli Archeological museum and was amazed by the craftmanship. It's so delicate and perfect. Click onthe picture to see it in detail. Wire artists will immediately recognize the double coiled spirals still used in designs today (the 'Egyptian' coil)!
Click on the Newgrange entrance stone for more on spirals in prehistoric art!

No comments: